Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Crossroad

The road may be easy, but it’s just too easy.
The road is smooth, but it’s not what I bargained for.
The road never bends, never curves, never breaks from downward.
But I feel it is breaking me.
I can’t say why. I don’t know how.
But there’s no question now.
The road I am traveling has been unraveling
The things of my past, coming back like a nightmare.
The things I’ve done, weighing heavier than the pack on my back
So why is it so easy to walk?

As I talk, I come to a crossroad.
The choice for myself is one of two
Continue the path, or diverge from the path
I’m on the verge of leaving my path, but then I compare and contrast.
One road rocky, one road easy.
One road high, one road low
One road curved, one road straight.
One road light, one road dark.

This road doesn’t seem to bode well
I have nowhere to rest my weary head
No one to comfort me as the creatures prowl at night
Things don’t seem bright for me
I don't know if this is right for me
But there is no more than this
The fork in the road cuts like a knife
This strife in the road breaks my soul
Do I leave the easy road to travel the harder road?
The choice to leave has me relieved
The rocks underfoot tear through my soles
Rough travels are what await me
The road inclines and curves,
but this I have learned; a sudden realization leaves me frozen

The path I have chosen
Proves that there will be pain
But somehow I know
None of it is in vain
As I look back on my choice, I saw it was clear all along.
The easy road was hard, and the hard road was easy.

-B.D.

Originally Written 5/2/15

No comments:

Post a Comment